January 15th, 2011 // 2:35 pm @ Alastair Wyllie
Building a team of people from different cultural backgrounds presents a variety of challenges.
So, too, is the requirement for effective performance and appropriate professional behaviours in an international context equally challenging. The requirement to participate in multicultural workgroups in international settings is increasing, and requires assessment and support for the development of appropriate competencies.
Most international managers and professionals are hired for their technical expertise and experience, rather than their ability to relate, communicate, engage, motivate and work effectively with colleagues and customers from other cultures. Yet, without such behavioural competencies, managers and professionals are unlikely to be effective in transferring their technical knowledge and skills in an unfamiliar international or multicultural context.
The International Profiler
The International Profiler is a leading-edge development tool for managers and professionals who work in international and multicultural environments.
The International Profiler raises awareness of potential areas for development at individual and team levels, suggests remedial actions, and offers coaching support to work towards behavioural change and more effective collaboration.
How does it work?
The International Profiler is an online questionnaire and feedback process, currently available in English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Chinese. Over 6,000 managers and professionals from over 100 different nationalities have responded to the questionnaire to date.
The online questionnaire takes about 45 minutes to complete, and automatically generates a scored report for the consultant, trained and accredited to administer the International Profiler, deliver its feedback and provide coaching support. Answers to the questions indicate the energy, emphasis and attention an individual brings to 22 different attitude, knowledge and skill dimensions, grouped into 10 key competencies for international and multicultural leadership, managerial and professional skills transfer.
A standard 4-page report provides the individual’s scores against the normed scores of all International Profile respondents to date, together with an overview of the dimensions, a summary of the individual’s profile, and suggested development themes. A 32-page interpretive report additionally provides textual and pictorial descriptions of each dimension, detailed summaries of high and low scores, and a cultural competency action planner. Separate group profiles and reports can also be generated to indicate overall team strengths and areas for development.
Feedback by the accredited consultant is usually given by telephone, and involves an in-depth discussion of the individual’s report in relation to the opportunities and challenges of his or her present or future international or multicultural role and responsibilities. The purpose is to identify three or four dimensions which would benefit from better, greater and more frequent energy, emphasis and attention. The feedback enables the subsequent production of a personal development plan.
Who is it for?
The International Profiler is aimed at managers and professionals who need and want to develop adaptive skills for working in an international or multicultural environment.
Typical candidates include:
• Managers involved in expatriation or mobilisation
• Local managers with international roles
• Managers leading international teams
• Managers integrating operations across national boundaries
• Managers operating in multicultural workplaces
• International project managers
• Professionals with international business careers
• Specialists on international committees
The International Profiler enables:
• Better selection of candidates for international or multicultural appointments
• Reduction of inappropriate appointments
• Valid measurement of intercultural competencies for preparation and evaluation of training of individuals and teams
• Identification of intercultural development needs of individuals or teams at any particular point in time
• Acceleration of business-critical relationship development
What are the benefits?
The International Profiler offers individuals and organisations the structured development of behavioural competencies for personal and team success in an international or multicultural environment.
The International Profiler helps individuals:
• Adapt to a specific new international role
• Build an international career
• Work more effectively with colleagues in a multicultural team
• Build productive relationships with new colleagues or partners in unfamiliar cultural contexts
The International Profiler helps organisations:
• Reduce the personal and organisational trauma of inappropriate appointments
• Avoid miscommunication and mistrust in critical multicultural business relationships
• Audit experience and capabilities for multicultural working
• Provide individual development plans and team training solutions that are specifically adapted to an international or multicultural business environment
For further information
For further information on the International Profiler, contact:
Alastair Wyllie, Wyllie and Reid Corporate Communications
Tel: +44 (0)141 339 3841 Mob: +44 07778 436328 email@example.com
Alastair Wyllie is accredited by WorldWork to administer the International Profiler.